Each user must enter an email address when creating a Facebook account. Fortunately, you can change that email address at a later date.
This guide explains how to change your primary email address on Facebook on different devices. In addition, we answer some of the questions you may have about this topic.
Change the primary email address on Facebook
You must enter your email address if you want to access your Facebook account on a new device. But if you somehow lose the password for that email address, or if you just don’t use it anymore, you have the option to change it on Facebook.
Whatever the reason, you should always use an email account that you can access through Facebook so you don’t miss any important notifications. For example, if someone tries to contact you, or if someone tries to access your account.
The good news is that you can change your email address on any device, although the methods differ. Here’s how to change your Facebook email address in your web browser:
- Open your internet browser and go directly to Facebook.
- Log in with your current email address.
Remark: If you can’t remember your email address, try logging in with your phone number.
- Locate the arrow icon in the top right corner of the menu.
- In the drop-down list of options, click Settings and privacy.
- click on Settings on the new list of options, which will take you to a separate page.
- In General Account Settingsfind the Contact field.
- Select the edit option, which will take you to your current email information.
- Select “+ Add another email or mobile number.”
- Type your new email address in the box. You can also add a new phone number if you wish.
At this point, you may be asked to re-enter your Facebook password to confirm it’s really you. When you’re done, Facebook will send you an authorization email to the new email address you want to associate with your Facebook account. Once you’ve confirmed the new email, you’re all set!
Follow these steps to make the email address your primary email address:
- Go to Settings as we did above. Then click General Account Settings.
- Click edit next Contact.
- Click the three dots to the right of the email address you want to use. Then select Set priority.
Now Facebook will send important emails to the new address. You can also log into your Facebook account with this new address instead of the old one.
How to change primary email in Facebook app
As we mentioned before, you can also change your primary email address on Facebook on your mobile device. Please note that the instructions below are for iOS devices.
- Open the Facebook app on your phone.
- If you’re not logged in yet, do it now.
- Navigate to the three horizontal lines at the bottom of your screen – that’s the menu.
- Scroll all the way down to find Settings.
- Tap it. It will be the . to open Account settings tab.
- Go to Personal information and then Contact information.
- Once you have the Manage contact information tab, look for the “Add email address” choice.
- Type the email address you want to associate with your Facebook account.
- To save the settings, enter your Facebook password in the box below.
- Tap on Add email.
As with the web version, you will automatically receive a confirmation email. Once you confirm it’s real, Facebook will immediately change your new email address and make it your primary contact. And that’s all!
Remark: You can also add a new phone number on Facebook on your mobile device if you want.
How to change primary email on Facebook on Android
Changing your primary email address on Facebook on an Android device is similar to how you do it on an iOS device. The only thing that is different is the location of the settings and certain tabs.
- Open your Facebook app. Log in if you haven’t already.
- Find the Menu tab, this time; it’s in the top right corner of your screen.
- Scroll down on Settings and then go to Account settings.
- Go to Personal and account information and then to Contact information.
- It leads directly to the “Add email address” field. The options ‘add phone number’ and ‘add email address’ lead to two separate tabs on Android.
- Enter your new email address in the box.
- Enter the Facebook password again.
Remark: You also have the option to add a recovery email, which you can use if you don’t have access to your primary email address. You can do this on any device.
Change primary email address on Facebook without password
Forgetting your password can be a pain, especially for something as important as your email. But don’t worry, there is a solution. Depending on exactly which password you’ve lost or forgotten, we’ve got a few steps you can try.
How to Change Primary Email Address on Facebook Without Your Facebook Password
To fix this problem, you need to recover your Facebook password first. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/.
- Click on the option “Forgot your password?” under the Login button.
- You will be taken to a new tab where you will need to enter your email address.
Remark: If for some reason you can’t access your email, you can enter your phone number instead.
- Facebook will automatically send you a reset code in your email.
With the code you can access your profile again. Facebook will take you straight to the Settings section, where you can type in a new password. After following these steps, you can proceed to change your primary email address by following the instructions above.
When you change your password, Facebook gives you the option to log out of all other devices you were previously logged in to. It’s your choice, but we recommend that you do this if someone else has access to your account.
How to change the primary email on Facebook without your email password
If the password you can’t remember belongs to your email address, it can be quite an inconvenience.
Technically, the only time you really need your email password in this process is when you need to confirm the authorization email Facebook sent you. But if you’re already logged in, you’ll have no problem.
Of course, recovering your email password will be slightly different depending on your email type (Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo). You can easily recover it if you have your phone number or a recovery email associated with your primary email address.
In any case, you will receive a verification code, just like from Facebook, to access your email. After you create a new password, you can go back to change your primary email address on Facebook.
Here you will find the answers to your questions about Facebook and your contact details.
Why can’t I change my primary email address on Facebook?
While this problem is uncommon, it can sometimes occur. If for some reason you can’t change your primary email address on Facebook, you can follow one of these steps:
• Add another email address. In cases where the primary email address you want to use is already associated with another Facebook account, you may need to associate your account with a different email address.
• Check your spam or your social tab on your email page. Sometimes Facebook reports go straight to spam.
• Wait it out. If nothing works, try refreshing your page a few times and wait for Facebook to send you the verification email.
How do I delete my primary email address on Facebook?
If you want to change your primary email address on Facebook, you’ll also need to delete the email address you no longer use.
• Open Facebook.
• Go directly to Settings in the top right corner of your screen.
• From there, go to Settings & Privacy.
• Navigate to the Contact section in General Account Settings.
• Add the new email address which will replace the old one.
• When you are done, click the Delete option next to the old email.
That’s all. Now you can link your new email to your Facebook account.
Keep your Facebook account updated for the optimal experience
Now you know how to change your primary email address on Facebook on all devices. You also learned what to do if you forget one of your passwords. It is always a good idea to update your contact information on social media. Our final piece of advice is to make sure your social media accounts are linked to the correct email address and phone number.
Have you ever changed or deleted your primary email address on Facebook? Did you follow the steps described in this article? Let us know in the comments below!