Streaming content with Disney+ can consume a lot of data. Fortunately, you can keep this under control.
Streaming movies and TV shows on Disney+ can consume a lot of data, especially if you’re watching in high definition. However, if your stream is constantly buffering or you need to conserve your data usage, you can change how much data Disney+ uses.
We’ll show you how to adjust your Disney+ data usage for each device.
Controlling data usage on Disney+
By default, Disney+ automatically sets the quality so that your stream runs with minimal buffering. On some devices, the highest quality is 4K UHD – Disney+ beats Netflix here because you don’t pay extra for that. However, you can manually change this to always use more or less data. The less data you use, the lower the visual and audio quality of the stream.
Importantly, manually setting the stream quality does not guarantee that you will receive it, as it also depends on the capabilities of your device and internet connection. For example, if you don’t have a surround sound system, you won’t benefit from the 5.1 audio provided by the higher quality setting.
Finally, these data settings are per device and affect all profiles on the account. So if you’re streaming Disney+ on multiple devices, you’ll need to adjust the settings for each device.
How to set up your Disney+ data settings on mobile
Setting up your data settings from a mobile device is easy and a great way to enhance your Disney+ mobile experience. All you need to do is follow the steps below.
- In the Disney+ app, tap your profile picture bottom right.
- Tap App settings.
- Switch on if desired Stream over WiFi only.
- Select Wi-Fi data usage and select automatically (uses more data, highest possible HD quality, 5.1 surround sound, 2 GB/hr) or Saving data (uses less data, SD quality, stereo sound, 0.6 GB/hr). When you’re done, go back.
- Select Mobile data usage and select automatically or Saving data. This is irrelevant if you only stream over Wi-Fi.
How to set up your Disney+ data settings on Smart TV (or TV connected devices)
Follow the steps below to adjust your Disney+ data settings on a smart TV or devices you connect to the TV.
- Navigate the Disney+ home page left to open the menu.
- Select Settings.
- Select App settings.
- Select automatically (uses more data, highest possible quality up to 4K UHD, Dolby Atmos sound, 7.7 GB/hr), Moderate (uses less data, HD quality, 5.1 surround sound, 2 GB/hr), or Saving data (least amount of data, SD quality, stereo sound, 0.7 GB/hr).
How to set your Disney+ data settings on the web
If you view Disney+ on your computer, you can also change your data settings there:
- On the Disney+ homepage, you move profile picture in the upper right corner.
- Click App settings.
- Select automatically (uses more data, highest possible quality up to 4K UHD, stereo sound, 4.2 GB/hr), Moderate (uses less data, HD quality, stereo sound, 1.2 GB/hr), or Saving data (least amount of data, SD quality, stereo sound, 0.6 GB/hr).
- Click Save.
Download programs and movies to save more data
With these settings you can ensure that Disney+ does not drain your data. This is vital if you have capped data plans that charge you for exceeding the cap.
To save more data, you can download shows and movies to your mobile device. This means you stream without data usage, perfect for when you’re away from home and without WiFi.