Venmo is a great platform for sending and receiving money, which is close to PayPal in popularity. Whether you need to send money to a friend or pay for services directly on a website, you can do it with Venmo. However, accidents can happen and you may accidentally send a payment to the wrong person, get scammed or just need a refund.
While it may seem complicated at first – especially for new Venmo users – the refund process isn’t rocket science. This article shares everything there is to know about getting funds back to your Venmo account. We’ll also share common pitfalls you may encounter during the process so you know what to expect.
How do you get a refund in Venmo if you paid the wrong person?
Paying the wrong person is one of the most common mistakes made on money transfer platforms like Venmo. Numerous people have similar usernames and things can get even more confusing if people don’t change the default Venmo username from the first account setup.
As you already know, the money you send is automatically added to a user’s account, and they can transfer this money to their bank account. This means that before contacting Venmo support, you must first request a refund from the person to whom you mistakenly paid them.
Follow the steps below to request a refund to your Venmo account:
- Start the Venmo app.
- Navigate to the home screen and tap the blue Pay or request button at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter the username of the person from whom you want to request a refund.
- Enter the exact amount of money you sent.
- Leave a note explaining the situation and ask them to refund the money they accidentally received.
- Tap on Request.
- You will see a green message asking you to confirm the action. Tap it to confirm.
The recipient may not see your message right away, so you can always send them a reminder. Here’s how to do it:
- Tap the three sizes in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Incomplete.
- Navigate to the Requests to find a list of your unfulfilled requests.
- Tap the To remind button below the relevant request.
The blue “Remind” button changes to a gray message that reads “Remembered.”
Once the person accepts your request, the money will be returned to your account. However, if you never get your money back, you can turn to Venmo for: support. Please note that the company does not guarantee that they will be able to get your money back. But they will give you the best options available.
Here’s how to contact Venmo support:
- Using a web browser, fill it Contact Form.
- Use the mobile app to chat with a representative.
Remark: Venmo’s chat reps are available Mon-Fri 6:00-11:59 CST and Sat-Sun 8am-10pm CST.
- Call Venmo Support at: (855) 812-4430.
Remark: Venmo phone hours are Mon-Sun 8:00-20:00 CST.
You can also find the support options in the app by following these steps:
- Tap the Settings in the top right corner of the screen.
- To elect Get help from the options menu. It’s the last choice on the list, just next to the question mark.
- Select Contact usthen Email usor Chat with us, depending on your communication preference. If you prefer to call, tap the View our opening hours section to get a number to call.
It is best to have your payment details to hand to speed up the process. Have the amount and date of the payment, as well as the recipient’s username, ready. It may also be helpful to include the username, phone number, and email address of the person you originally intended to pay.
How to get a refund in Venmo if you paid for an account that doesn’t exist?
You may have accidentally mistyped a username and your transaction ended up in a non-existent account. If the email address or phone number you paid for is not active on Venmo, you can cancel the payment and get your money back.
The payment must appear in the Incomplete section below Pending. This either means you paid for an account that isn’t associated with Venmo, or the recipient still hasn’t verified their profile (the funds will only show on the recipient’s balance if they verify their account in the meantime). If not, you can request a refund without contacting Venmo.
Just follow the steps below:
- Log in to the Venmo app.
- Tap the three horizontal bars to open the options menu.
- Go to the Incomplete tab.
- Your payment should appear under the Payments section or show as Pending in the feed.
- Tap the Take back button under the relevant payment.
The money will now be transferred back to your original funding source. If you used your credit or debit card for payment, you will receive the money there. And if you sent the money with your Venmo balance, you should see the refund there.
However, if the person you wanted to send money to in the first place wants to accept it, they’ll need to sign up or add another valid email address to their Venmo account.
With a platform as popular as Venmo, it is almost inevitable that you will run into scams. There are dozens of scams around and cheaters always seem to find a way to steal other people’s valuable information and money. That’s why you need to be extra careful with any trade you make or receive.
Remark: If you have been a victim of a scam, please contact Venmo support for assistance.
However, you may be scammed and want your money back. Unfortunately, if you’ve paid money into an existing Venmo account (scam or not), it’s impossible to just cancel your payment. The standard procedure is to send a return request to the account you sent the money to and wait for them to return the money.
However, with scams, this scenario is highly unlikely to work. Since Venmo usually does not intervene in disputes about scams, you should take some precautions yourself, including:
- Carry out regular bank or credit card checks
- Have the bank cancel or renumber all compromised cards
- Set up multi-factor authentication on Venmo
- Report any suspicious activity to Venmo so they can issue an alert to other customers
Here’s more practical information on how to avoid scams on Venmo. For full details, check Vemos Common Scams page.
- Be mindful of your actions. Never join pyramids, money wheels, money circles or other scams with your Venmo account.
- Do not sell to strangers unless authorized by the software.
- Do not buy from strangers unless authorized by the software.
Some common scams are messages from a person asking you to send a small amount, and they will then send you a larger amount back. These scammers collect users’ money but never refund them. Beware that this offer may appear to be coming from someone you also know. Any offer that seems too good to be true probably is.
Many users have also reported SMS phishing scams. They will receive a notification that their account is about to be charged and they must log in quickly to avoid the action. By logging in, scammers reveal their usernames and passwords to scammers, who then have full control over their Venmo accounts. Never click on the links in a text message if it comes from a suspicious domain, is truncated, contains typos, or if you received it as a random text.
Other scam signs include:
- The buyer asks you to send the item without you money.
- The buyer emailed screenshots suggesting they sent you a payment on Venmo, but the photos appear to be faked.
- The buyer claims that they have already sent the money and that the money will reach your Venmo account once you have shipped the items. Venmo does not offer this feature at all.
In addition, there are scams where cheaters can pose as a friend to ask for money. They can change their username and profile picture and use the public feed information to contact people who have interacted with your friend, including you.
When you receive these kinds of requests, double-check with that friend to make sure they actually made the request. Just to be sure, check with that friend outside of the Venmo app.
To remind: Only make payments to authorized accounts on Venmo and don’t accept offers that seem too good to be true.
Frequently Asked Questions
Venmo is an excellent app for getting paid or sending money. But there is always something new to learn. If you have any questions, keep reading.
How long does it take to get a refund?
The time at which a refund is issued depends on the company or person to whom you sent the payment. Once the payment is refunded to the recipient at the end, it will take 1-5 business days for Venmo to return the payment to you.
Can I cancel a payment on Venmo?
Unfortunately not. When you send money on Venmo, it automatically becomes available to the other person. You cannot cancel a payment.
What should I do if I have been scammed and sent money using Venmo?
If you have been the victim of a scam, please contact Venmo’s support team using the instructions above.
Double check your Venmo payments
If you accidentally paid the wrong person or sent money to a non-existent Venmo account, you can always request a return or get your money back through the app. When things get complicated, Venmo’s support is there to help. However, the platform does not deal with scams, which means you need to be extra careful when sending money or providing sensitive information.
Anyway, you should always check the payment information before any transfer to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Most importantly, stay tuned for ongoing scam campaigns so you can spot one right away if it comes your way.
Hopefully, this article has answered all your questions about getting money back from Venmo. If you have anything else to ask, feel free to share your questions or thoughts in the comments section below.