Instagram is a great platform to spot new trends. With a huge number of users creating new content on a daily basis, there are endless photos and scrolls to look at. You would think the content available to you would be interesting and entertaining, but sometimes you keep seeing the same old stuff.
Fortunately, there is a way to kickstart Instagram, a way to show it to your various content. In this article, we’ll discuss how to reset your Instagram Explore page. If you’re tired of the same old thing, you’ve come to the right place.
How to reset the Instagram Explore page on an Android device
Daily Instagram users are familiar with the Explore page. Instead of endlessly scrolling through your feed to see what those you follow have posted, the Discover page shows you varied content. You’ll see a mix of uploads from accounts you follow and others you don’t. This can enrich your entire Instagram experience a lot.
Sometimes the Instagram algorithm can crash. Instead of varying the content daily on the Explore page, it shows you the same things, or maybe content you’re not interested in. If you have had this unpleasant experience, you are not alone. Fortunately, you can reset your Explore page, resulting in new and varied content. There are two different methods you can use.
This first method can be time consuming, but it’s the best way to teach the algorithm what you like and don’t like. Here’s how to do it.
- Start the Instagram app.
- Navigate to the “Explore” page by tapping the magnifying glass icon.
- Tap a post that doesn’t interest you.
- Tap the three dots icon in the top right corner of the message.
- Click on ‘Not interested’.
- Keep doing this for all posts with content you don’t like.
There is another method to reset your Instagram Explorer page to ensure that you only see the type of content you are interested in. While it’s not as accurate in retraining the algorithm, resetting it will help. If you prefer this much faster way, follow the steps below.
- open you Instagram app.
- Tap your “Profile Photo” in the bottom right corner.
- Click the icon with the three vertical lines and then select “Settings”.
- Choose ‘Security’ and then ‘Clear Search History’.
- Select “Clear All” in the top right corner.
Once you’ve done that, the algorithm starts basing what it shows you on the Discover page on the type of content you’re viewing. This method clears the algorithm and starts the process again.
Reset the Instagram Explore page on an iPhone
If you are a regular user of Instagram then you are familiar with the Explore page. On this page you will find photos and videos from all different types of makers. Some come from accounts you follow, others from users you may not know. What you see is based on what the Instagram algorithm thinks you would like to see. It predicts your viewing history and the different topics or hashtags you searched for.
This isn’t a perfect system and your Explore page may not always show content that interests you. There is a way to reset this and see the content more to your liking. If you mostly see photos and videos that don’t interest you, you can make a few simple changes to see content that more closely matches your interests.
The first method is the best way to retrain the Instagram algorithm to teach it what you don’t like. It is time consuming but well worth it. Here’s how you do it.
- Start the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Click the magnifying glass icon to go to the Explore page.
- Scroll through the list of suggested posts and click on a post that doesn’t interest you.
- Select the three dots icon in the top right corner of the message.
- Press “Not interested” to warn the algorithm that you don’t like the message.
- Do this for other posts you’re not interested in.
There is another way to achieve the same goal and it is much faster. It’s not as efficient as the above method, but it works fine. This process will wipe the algorithm clean, causing it to relearn your viewing and search preferences. Follow the steps below to use this technique.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Click on your profile picture in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap the icon with the three vertical lines and choose ‘Settings’.
- Press “Security” and then “Clear Search History”.
- Press “Clear All” in the top right corner.
You have now cleared your search and watch history. This restarts the algorithm. You should see a difference in your Explore page posts. The more you search and view the types of posts you like, the more likely your Explore page suggestions will show you the right content.
How does Instagram control which posts appear on my Explore page?
Instagram’s Explore page uses an algorithm that displays posts on your Explore page that it thinks will interest you the most. This is based on a number of different factors. It looks at things like how many likes and comments a post gets and how many times it’s been shared. Other factors include who you follow, what types of posts you interact with most, and your search history.
Is there a way to see what topics Instagram thinks I’m interested in?
Yes, there is a way to see this information, but it is buried a little deep in your settings. Instagram uses this data to determine which ads are most interested in you. You cannot edit this list, but you can view it. If you want to know how to do this, follow these instructions.
1. Launch Instagram and tap your profile picture.
2. Tap the icon with the three vertical lines and then choose ‘Settings’.
3. Click “Security” and then click “Access Data”.
4. Scroll down and under the heading ‘Ads Interests’ tap ‘Show all’.
5. You will see a long list of topics that the algorithm thinks you are interested in.
6. To see them all, tap “Show more” and the list will populate.
As part of Instagram’s user agreement, Instagram has the right to collect information about your account. Part of this information is generating a list of users’ interests that it can use to sell to its advertisers.
Kickstart your Instagram explore page with a reset
If you don’t see any posts on your Instagram Explore page that interest you, there is a way to change this. You can reset the page by selecting the posts you don’t like and telling the app you don’t like them. Although it may take some time to select them one by one, this method is very efficient. The fastest method is to clear your watch history, which wipes the algorithm slate clean.
Have you reset your Instagram Explore page to see more relevant posts? Did you use the same methods described in this article? Let us know in the comments below.