Craigslist has just about everything you’re looking for. It doesn’t matter if it’s an apartment, a side job or an Xbox. This popular platform does it all. The biggest inconvenience is sifting through the endless messages for the latest update.
If you’re tired of searching for that perfect thing every day, then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss how to set up Craigslist alerts.
Set up email alerts
Craigslist has a system that allows you to receive email alerts for saved searches. This saves you the hassle of daily scanning of the website, where you will no doubt have to scroll through hundreds of posts that you have already viewed.
The email alert system is a convenient way to stay on top of what you’re looking for without having to search the site endlessly. But you must have a Craigslist account for this to work. To set up an email alert, here’s what you need to do.
- Navigate to Craigslist and log in with your credentials.
- Perform your search using as many search criteria as possible. You will get a list of results that match your search criteria.
- To the right of the “Search Pane”, click “Save Search”.
- Your browser will navigate to the “Saved Searches” page.
- Tap the box below the ‘Alert’ column to activate this search.
That’s all you need to do. You will receive an email from Craigslist when there are new posts matching your search terms. They will be sent to the email associated with your Craigslist account. To limit the number of emails you receive, be as specific as possible when setting up alerts.
Set up push notifications
Craigslist does not have a native push notification option to receive new post notifications. Email alerts work fine, but if you prefer to receive push notifications on your mobile phone, there is a way to do it. However, it does require going offsite. The IFTTT (If This Then That) app can be programmed to send you Craigslist search alerts. To do this, follow the instructions below:
- Go to IFTTT and create an account.
- Once you are logged in, click on ‘My Applets’ and then ‘New Applet’.
- On the ‘New Applet’ page, tap ‘+ this’.
- Select ‘Ads’ and then ‘New message from search’.
- Open a new browser window and log in to your Craigslist account.
- Do a Craigslist search for the topic you want to be notified about. Copy the URL of the search results.
- Paste the URL into the box on the IFTTT page and press ‘Create trigger’.
- Click on “+that”.
- Choose the SMS option and click on “Send me a text”.
- Press “Create Action” and then “Finish”.
You will now receive push notifications with clickable links for every new Craigslist post that matches your search criteria. The app will send them to the phone number associated with your IFTTT account. This method of getting messages with new search results is ideal for those who prefer to be notified on their mobile.
Search Craigslist Using Alerts
A more efficient and time-saving way to find what you’re looking for on Craigslist without having to search the website on a daily basis is to set up email alerts. By receiving emails containing only newly uploaded posts, you can keep up to date with the latest additions of the things you are looking for. If you prefer the convenience of SMS push notifications, you can use the IFTTT app.
Have you set up Craigslist alerts? Have you used the methods mentioned in this article? Let us know in the comments below.