If you have your own router, the idea of ditching the rented Verizon router must have crossed your mind. Using your router is a good idea for many reasons. For example, you have room for better network performance, better control over your network and, most importantly, you can skip the annoying monthly rental costs for your router.
But can you use your router with Verizon Fios? The answer is most likely “yes”. So keep reading to find out the details.
Can you use your router with Verizon Fios?
Yes, you can use your router with the Verizon Fios service. You just need to make sure that the router you want to switch to uses an Ethernet connection, not a coaxial one.
Another factor to consider is the nature of your Verizon Fios subscription package. If your subscription only has internet, then switching to your router is easy. However, if you have both internet and TV, you’ll need to purchase a MoCA adapter to access internet-based TV services such as On Demand, DVR, and the Guide. MoCA adapters cost between $20 and $80, and you can find them on Amazon or nearby stores. However, we recommend that you buy your adapter from brands such as TRENDnet and Actiontec as their products are of good quality.
Using your router with Verizon Fios
Follow these steps to use your router with Verizon Fios:
Step 1: Study your network
First you need to determine how your router is connected to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT). If the two are connected via an Ethernet cable and there is a light next to the Ethernet port, you should be good to go. However, if your router is connected to the ONT via a coaxial cable, follow the steps below:
- Look for an Ethernet cable and find where the ONT box is located. The ONT is contained in the silver or white box that you received from Verizon during installation. It has the company logo and is usually located in places where there is no foot traffic, such as the basement or near your meter box.
- Once you’ve located the ONT, connect one end of your Ethernet cable to the Internet/WAN port on your Verizon router and the other end to the Ethernet port on the ONT. The Ethernet port is located on the bottom of the ONT box next to the green LED lights. You have to unscrew the box to get to the gate.
- Call Verizon Customer Service and ask them to activate your Ethernet connection. Any agent should be able to activate your Ethernet connection at no extra cost. Until then, keep using the coaxial cable.
Step 2: Disconnect the Verizon Fios router from the Internet
Once your Ethernet connection is activated, disconnect the coaxial cable running to your ONT from the Verizon router.
Once done, follow these steps to disconnect the Verizon Fios router from the Internet.
- Open your browser and type “http://192.168.1.1.”
- Log in with your login details. Your login information is on the sticker attached to your Verizon router or in the box provided.
- On the admin dashboard, go to ‘My Network’ and select ‘Network Connections’.
- Select “Broadband connection (Ethernet/Coax)” in the menu.
- Open Settings.”
- Scroll down to the “HDCP Lease” section and click “Release.”
- Click the “Apply” button to disconnect your router from the Internet.
After completing the steps above, immediately disconnect the Ethernet cable and power cable from the Verizon router to prevent it from forming a new lease connection.
You can also turn off your router, unplug all cables and wait 24 hours. This should automatically disconnect your router from the internet, as a lease connection usually expires after 24 hours of non-use.
Step 3: Connect your new router to the ONT
Now that you’ve disconnected the Verizon router from the internet and your ONT, it’s time to plug in your new router. These are the steps to follow:
- Connect the internet cable running from the ONT to your new router via the WAN/Internet port on the back.
- Turn on the router.
- The ONT should automatically assign your router a new IP address from Verizon Fios so that it can connect to the Internet and form a new lease connection.
Step 4: Plug in your MoCA adapter if you have a TV subscription
So far, your internet should work perfectly. However, you will find that the TV service is not available as they use MoCA technology to connect to the router. And your MoCA connection is clearly absent because you no longer use the Verizon Fios router. So follow these steps to get your TV services back online.
- Connect the coaxial cable once connected to the Verizon router to the coaxial port of your MoCA adapter.
- Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the MoCA adapter and the other into one of the LAN ports on your router.
- Unplug the box from your TV for a few minutes and plug it back in for the connection to work properly.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to program your DVR remotely if you are using your own router.
Can I use my own modem with Verizon Fios?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your cable modem with Verizon Fios. The ONT acts as a modem, so you don’t need another. Even if you want to use your own modem, the ONT does not have a port to connect your modem to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will Verizon Fios still support me if I switch to my router?
Unfortunately, Verizon Fios does not provide technical support for third-party routers. You should resolve any issues yourself or call a network consultant to assist you. You can also post the issue on the Verizon support forums and other users may be able to help you resolve it.
Alternatively, you’ll need to revert to the previous configuration to get help from the Verizon Fios team.
Will this affect my phone service if I switch to my router?
No, your phone service will not be affected if you switch to your router. The new setup should only interfere with the DVR programming.
Which routers can I use with Verizon Fios?
Any router with an Ethernet cable should work perfectly. Remember, no modems.
Save a few dollars and enjoy full control over your network
Using your router instead of a rented one is a great way to save money and ultimately have better control over your home or office network. Fortunately, this is super easy, especially if your ONT is using an Ethernet connection. However, if it uses a coaxial connection, you will need to switch to an Ethernet connection and ask Verizon customer service to activate the data connection.
It gets even easier if you only have Verizon Fios internet, because you don’t incur any costs when you switch to a personal router. Those with TV service will have to buy a MoCA adapter, which is still financially sensible as it’s a one-time payment. It’s much better than the $18 recurring rental fee for the Verizon Fios router.
Have you tried using your own router with Verizon Fios? Share your experience with us in the comments below.