A smart switch is a great addition to any smart home. We will guide you through the installation process.
With a smart plug, you can turn just about any dumb device into a smart one.
We’ll walk you through the app installation, including adding the smart plug to your home network, integrating with Amazon’s Alexa, and testing to make sure it works.
What is a smart plug?
A smart plug connects to your home WiFi network, so it can be controlled with an app on your smartphone.
You can connect any common two-pole device for control and automation. Here are some of the best smart plugs on the market.
There are many ways in which a smart plug can be useful in your home. For example, you can set up routines so that a regular light comes on at sunset and goes out at sunrise.
Set up your Smart Plug
Setting up a smart plug and pairing it with Amazon Alexa is easy. That provides voice control of the Switch with any compatible Amazon Echo or other device.
In this example we use the Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Slim fashion model.
From the Alexa app home screen, tap devices.
- Press + in the upper right corner
- Tap Add device
- Scroll down and tap Plug
- You see what brand is your plug? Scroll down and tap the name of your plug manufacturer.
- Most plugs require you to install the appropriate app and then return to Alexa to complete the pairing
- Plug in your smart plug. The light should flash orange and green/blue.
- Download and install the Kasa Smart app for: iOS or android
- Your app searches for your plug on your local network
- You may need to set permission for the app to find and connect to local network devices, and the app will provide instructions
Complete your app customization and connect to Wi-Fi
Some apps ask for permission to know your location. This is useful for setting up routines. If your app knows the sunset and sunrise location for your location, you can automate it to turn on at night and off in the morning. Also be sure to discover other creative uses for smart plugs.
Return to the Kasa Smart app.
- On the Add a device screen, scroll down and tap Smart Plugs
- At the Add a smart plug screen, tap Smart Plug Lite/Mini
- You’ll see it Turn on your smart plug. Tap Next one
- Make sure your plug is switched on (a Kasa plug flashes orange and green/blue) and tap Next one
- You’ll see it Connect to your Smart Plug
- Go to your phone’s Wi-Fi settings (outside the Kasa Smart app)
Finish Connecting the Smart Plug
- Join the TP-LINK_Smart Plug WiFi network. This connects you directly to the plug via WiFi, so you can change the WiFi settings of the plug and connect it to your home WiFi network.
- Return to the Kasa Smart app. You will see Connecting to Smart Plug.
- Once the Kasa Smart app connects to the smart plug, you will see Choose a network
- Tap the name of your Wi-Fi network to join and enter the password
- You will see Smart Plug connecting to your home network
- Enter a name for your smart plug on the Name of your device screen. You can include a user-friendly name and location, for example Living Room Plug.
- The Kasa Smart app may ask you to choose an icon for your smart plug
- You will see Congratulations! Your smart plug is configured. Tap Sounds good.
- You will likely see a Firmware Update screen. Tap Update now.
- Wait a few minutes for the Update Smart Plug screen while the smart plug firmware is updated
- Tap Done once you see the Update complete screen
Integrate your Smart Plug with Alexa
- You will see a Works with Kasa screen. Tap Amazon Alexa.
- Tap Connect on the Amazon Alexa integration screen
- Tap Clutch on the Link TP-LINK Kasa with Alexa screen. This will add your smart plug to Alexa
- You will see Account is connected
Harnessing the power of a smart switch for your home
Say “Alexa, turn off the plug in the living room” and check that the green/blue light on the side of the plug goes out. If so, Alexa will recognize the device and can control it with your voice commands.
You’re done. It’s time to enjoy smart home technology and integrate it into your routine.